Monday, February 01, 2021

Q&A with Paul Vidich

From my Q&A with Paul Vidich, author of The Mercenary: A Novel:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

My latest novel is The Mercenary. A mercenary is a soldier who works for profit – not honor, glory, or in service of his country. I chose this title because it suggests a world in which ethics are set aside and money is all that matters. It suggests a tear in the moral fabric of patriotism and service. My goal with the title is to pique potential readers’ interest so they pick the book up to see what it’s about. The title operates like lighting in a room – it provides atmosphere and shading and invites the visitor in.

What's in a name?

I put great weight on a character’s name. I usually try several before I settle on one that feels right for the story. Names suggest...[read on]
Visit Paul Vidich's website.

Q&A with Paul Vidich.

--Marshal Zeringue