Sunday, March 13, 2016

Four books that changed Simon Winchester

Simon Winchester is a best-selling British author, living in Massachusetts and New York City. His newest book is The Pacific: The Ocean of the Future. One of four books that changed the author, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
Kim
Rudyard Kipling

I loved India from the first moment that I immersed myself in young Kim's adventures on the Grand Trunk Road and out into the wild lands of the Frontier. When finally I came to Lahore and found for myself his great brass cannon, Zam-Zama, outside the museum that was his House of Wonder, I was incredulous. Still there, it said to me. India remains just as Kipling wrote it, and is still there too, unforgettably.
Read about another book on the list.

Also see: Winchester's list of five great American journeys in literature, five top novels about the social history of America's expanding frontiers from the late 19th century to the Great Depression, and six favorite books about sailing.

--Marshal Zeringue