Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Ten top books featuring marriages with dark secrets

Fiona Barton, author of The Widow, tagged her ten favorite books centering on marriages that hold dark secrets, at the B&N Reads blog:
Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turow

I remember reading this legal thriller about an unfaithful husband accused of murdering his former mistress back in the late 1980s and literally gasping at the twist. I was reading it so fast, dragged headlong by the plot, wrongfooted by the red herrings and the unreliable characters, that I almost missed it the first time. When my brain caught up seconds later, I flipped back a page and reread it. I could not believe what Turow had done. It was brilliant then and still is now.
Read about another entry on the list.

Presumed Innocent is among Alafair Burke's favorite "Lawyers are People Too" books. Sandy Stern in Presumed Innocent is one of Simon Lelic's top ten lawyers in fiction.

--Marshal Zeringue