Tuesday, March 22, 2016

What is Wade Rouse/Viola Shipman reading?

Featured at Writers Read: Wade Rouse, author (writing as Viola Shipman) of The Charm Bracelet: A Novel.

His entry begins:
I cannot read while I'm in the midst of writing a book: I find other voices and storylines distracting, as I'm so in my head in the midst of a book. But when I finish, I read anything and everything I can get my hands on, ranging from fiction to nonfiction. Some of it is for pleasure and some is business (asked by publishers to provide a blurb for another author). As a writer of nonfiction (four humorous memoirs) and fiction (my debut novel, The Charm Bracelet, now out in the world), I typically read a genre different from the book I just finished.

After just finishing edits on my second novel, I was recently asked to read an early galley of a memoir by Mark Woods entitled Lassoing the Sun, a book about a man's journey visiting...[read on]
About The Charm Bracelet, from the publisher:
Lose yourself to the magic of The Charm Bracelet.

Through an heirloom charm bracelet, three women will rediscover the importance of family and a passion for living as each charm changes their lives.

On her birthday each year, Lolly’s mother gave her a charm, along with the advice that there is nothing more important than keeping family memories alive, and so Lolly’s charm bracelet would be a constant reminder of that love.

Now seventy and starting to forget things, Lolly knows time is running out to reconnect with a daughter and granddaughter whose lives have become too busy for Lolly or her family stories.

But when Arden, Lolly’s daughter, receives an unexpected phone call about her mother, she and granddaughter Lauren rush home. Over the course of their visit, Lolly reveals the story behind each charm on her bracelet, and one by one the family stories help Lolly, Arden, and Lauren reconnect in a way that brings each woman closer to finding joy, love, and faith.

A compelling story of three women and a beautiful reminder of the preciousness of family Viola Shipman's The Charm Bracelet is a keepsake you’ll cherish long after the final page.
Visit Viola Shipman's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Charm Bracelet.

Writers Read: Wade Rouse.

--Marshal Zeringue