Monday, May 10, 2021

Q&A with Zhanna Slor

From my Q&A with Zhanna Slor, author of At the End of the World, Turn Left:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I think quite a lot of work actually. It's a very unusual title--an English translation of a modern Hebrew phrase--and I think the cadence of it is very easy on the ears as well as enticing. I did a lot of linguistic research because one of my characters is really interested in linguistics -- untranslatable phrases to be specific -- and once I saw this one I knew it would make a great title. Also the meaning of it, "middle of nowhere," works really well with the book because the characters feel that way sometimes in terms of their identities and where they fit in.

What's in a name?

.... The names of a couple of the characters in my book, Liam and August, were based on...[read on]
Visit Zhanna Slor's website.

Q&A with Zhanna Slor.

--Marshal Zeringue