Thursday, May 13, 2021

Q&A with Katherine A. Sherbrooke

From my Q&A with Katherine A. Sherbrooke, author of Leaving Coy's Hill: A Novel:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

An early title I considered was Call Me Lucy Stone, but I realized that had two problems: it might sound like a straight biography, and more importantly, considering that most people don’t know who Lucy Stone was, using her name didn’t help (unlike, for example, the recent The Mystery of Mrs. Christie—right away, anyone remotely familiar with Agatha Christie will know what the book is about). Coy’s Hill is where Lucy grew up, and the reader is taken to that childhood home very early on in the book. What I hope the title will do is create a set of questions for the reader that remain relevant straight through to the last page: what does Coy’s Hill represent for her, what does she take away when she leaves, and what remains with her forever?

What's in a name?

Given that this is historical fiction based on the lives of real people, my main characters were all named for me! But I did invent some characters who...[read on]
Visit Katherine A. Sherbrooke's website.

The Page 69 Test: Leaving Coy's Hill.

Q&A with Katherine A. Sherbrooke.

--Marshal Zeringue