Monday, August 01, 2011

What is Jennifer Hillier reading?

Today's featured contributor at Writers Read: Jennifer Hillier, author of Creep.

Her entry begins:
I pretty much jumped from Nancy Drew right to Stephen King.

When I was growing up, I don't remember there being the incredible selection of young adult books that there are now. Oh, I'm sure they existed back then, but for some reason they just didn't enter my reading orbit. I wanted to read what my mother was reading, and my mother was a long-time fan of Stephen King. She finally gave me permission to read Pet Sematary when I was 10 years old. It wasn't exactly the warm and fuzzy animal story I thought it was going to be… but I sure was hooked on all things spooky after I finished it.

Right now I'm rereading my favorite Stephen King book...[read on]
Among the early praise for Creep:
"Jennifer Hillier's Creep is top-of-the-line thriller writing. You better call in sick, because you're not going anywhere until you finish reading. Oh, and you might want to lock the door too. Just to be safe."
--Jeffery Deaver, author of Carte Blanche

"Psychological thrillers are tough to execute, because their authors must create stories that infiltrate readers’ minds, pulling them into the plots as more participants than observers. Hillier pulls off that sleight of narrative hand with remarkable skill."
--Booklist

". . . the book holds its secrets well and packs a concluding wallop."
--Publishers Weekly

"The ending indicates a possible sequel, but even if Sheila Tao doesn’t return, Hillier will likely have best sellers in the future thanks to her suspenseful plotting and solid character development. VERDICT: This fast-paced page-turner will keep fans of Lisa Gardner and Chelsea Cain guessing."
--Library Journal

"Despite the apparent prurience of the book’s subject matter, Hillier handles Sheila’s addiction with subtlety; the novel is more interested in the nature of addiction than in sex itself. Hillier’s unembellished prose moves Creep briskly along, resulting in a page-turning read."
--Quill & Quire
Learn more about the book and author at Jennifer Hillier's website.

Writers Read: Jennifer Hillier.

--Marshal Zeringue