Monday, August 29, 2011

What is Ann Napolitano reading?

Today's featured contributor at Writers Read: Ann Napolitano, author of A Good Hard Look.

Her entry begins:
I was a reader - a voracious one - before I was ever a writer. I simply love books. When I was a child and teenager, I read every genre. I was blissfully unaware of what was considered a "good" book; I thought a good book was simply one you couldn't put down. I loved the Louis L'Amour westerns, Sherlock Holmes, The Flowers in the Attic, everything Madeleine L'Engle wrote, Anne of Green Gables, The Lord of the Rings, the Betsy-Tacy series, Trixie Belden... I could go on and on (very happily). The three books, however, that had the biggest impact on me as a young writer, I read in my late teens and early twenties. Those were The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing,....[read on]
Among the early praise for A Good Hard Look:
“Ann Napolitano has written a mesmerizing tale of southern life, ambition and destiny that will leave readers dazed and shaken, as if they’d stared directly into the Georgia sun.”
—Bookreporter.com

“[A Good Hard Look] is a powerful and touching work about truth, forgiveness, and redemption as told through the experiences of Flannery O’Connor, a woman who chose to live by her own terms in spite of incredible personal adversity.”
The Wichita Eagle

“Napolitano’s protagonist is a marvelously outspoken, uncompromising force who becomes the impetus for several fictional Milledgeville residents to reassess and radically alter their lives….. she [Napolitano] has spun an absorbing, old-fashioned tale about how, as in Flannery O’Connor’s stories, “Grace changes a person…. And change is painful.”
The Washington Post
Learn more about the book and author at Ann Napolitano's website.

Writers Read: Ann Napolitano.

--Marshal Zeringue