Thursday, April 13, 2023

Top ten badly behaved biographies

Catherine Lacey is the author of five books: Biography of X, Pew, The Answers, Nobody Is Ever Missing, and a short story collection, Certain American States.

Her honors include a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Whiting Award, and the Young Lions Fiction Award from the New York Public Library.

She lives in New York and Mexico.

At the Guardian Lacey tagged ten favorite biographies by writers who discarded the rules, with thrilling results. One title on the list:
My Pinup by Hilton Als

I absolutely love how elegantly Als steps into everything he writes. He could write about the contents of his cupboard and I’d be hooked, but here he’s trying to give words to the otherworldly allure of the musical genius Prince and Oh my God. A brief book, a religious tract, really. If there was church on the other side of it I’d go every Sunday.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue