Monday, April 17, 2023

Q&A with Josh Weiss

From my Q&A with Josh Weiss, author of Sunset Empire:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Believe it or not, you’re only the second person to ask about the meaning behind the title. Alas, I cannot go into too much detail, as it would divulge more than a few crucial plot points. All I can say is that the word “Sunset” connotes a state of decline — both morally and geopolitically. The original title was Empire of the Setting Sun, though it was my brother-in-law (he’s got a PhD in chemistry and is much smarter than I could ever hope to be) who suggested shortening it to the current title. Not only did this shave down the word count for my publisher, but it also had the added benefit of sounding like a true film noir. Thanks for the advice, Rob!

What's in a name?

If you happen to glance at the left-hand corner of...[read on]
Visit Josh Weiss's website.

Writers Read: Josh Weiss (March 2022).

My Book, The Movie: Beat the Devils.

The Page 69 Test: Beat the Devils.

My Book, The Movie: Sunset Empire.

The Page 69 Test: Sunset Empire.

Q&A with Josh Weiss.

--Marshal Zeringue