Monday, December 12, 2022

Q&A with Sharon Dempsey

From my Q&A with Sharon Dempsey, author of The Midnight Killing:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Titles are tricky beasts. They have to do so much: entice the reader, sell the story and still not give too much away. I enjoy coming up with titles but often the marvellous marketing team at Harper Collins come up with something that grabs the attention and works well with the story. My last book, Who Took Eden Mulligan? was originally called The Hanging Dolls, but the editor felt that it sounded too much like a horror novel, which it did, so the title we settled on came from graffiti found at the crime scene and I love it. It suits the book and sets the reader up asking questions, right from the start. The Midnight Killing got its title from the crime scene at the start of the book. It suggests mystery and something sinister. Of course I...[read on]
Visit Sharon Dempsey's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Midnight Killing.

Q&A with Sharon Dempsey.

--Marshal Zeringue