Thursday, December 08, 2022

Q&A with Denise Crittendon

From my Q&A with Denise Crittendon, author of Where it Rains in Color:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

My title is an accurate description of the planet I created and, therefore, should have been a no-brainer. For some reason, it wasn’t. Ironically, I went through a few titles -- some so bad I’m too embarrassed to list. The rejects I’m willing to share are: Mama Indigo, a reference to the blue-black complexion of the protagonist and If She Speaks. If She Speaks is part of a comment one of my characters makes when discussing another character who happens to be mute. Neither of these titles captured the novel very well, and I quickly cast them aside. Then one day, an obvious title suddenly dawned on me. Since the surface of this world is awash in colored mists, I decided to go with Where it Rains in Color. And that has been its title ever since. In fact…[read on]
Visit Denise Crittendon's website.

Q&A with Denise Crittendon.

--Marshal Zeringue