Thursday, December 29, 2022

Q&A with Elyse Friedman

From my Q&A with Elyse Friedman, author of The Opportunist: A Novel:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I think the title is pretty apt, since the story is about exploitation and corruption. I like that it doesn’t identify any character in particular. The titular opportunist may well be the 28- year-old nurse who is marrying her wealthy 76-year-old patient, but it could refer to anyone in the narrative. I did play with a bunch of titles way back when, including Avarice (too boring) and Killing Kelly, which had that hint of fun and danger I was looking for (plus good alliteration), but ultimately it sounded too much like the TV show, Killing Eve.

What's in a name?

I have a bad habit of using the same names over and over again in my fiction. I like names that sound real to me, even if they are...[read on]
Follow Elyse Friedman on Twitter.

Q&A with Elyse Friedman.

--Marshal Zeringue