Sunday, July 12, 2020

Q&A with Mary Simses

From my Q&A with Mary Simses, author of The Wedding Thief:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Of my three novels, the only one with a title that really explains the story is The Wedding Thief. To me, the most likely interpretations are that the book is about someone who steals things at weddings or someone who actually tries to hijack the wedding itself. It’s the latter one that’s going on here, of course, as Sara wants to sabotage the wedding of her younger sister, Mariel, and get back the man she’s still in love with.

I don’t remember when I came up with that title, but I know I was pretty far into writing the book. My original title was The Harrington Sisters Come Home. That explained a bit about what was going on. And the idea of coming home is also a metaphor for the sister’ need to find common ground. That was the working title, but I wanted something better, something more catchy, more intriguing. When I thought of The Wedding Thief I knew that was it. Sara is a mischievous girl and the title captures her personality and spirit. It also lets people know there’s a big...[read on]
Visit Mary Simses's website and follow her on Facebook.

My Book, The Movie: The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe.

The Page 69 Test: The Rules of Love & Grammar.

Q&A with Mary Simses.

--Marshal Zeringue