Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Q&A with Chris Nickson


From my Q&A with Chris Nickson, author of The Molten City:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I like a title to intrigue and maybe offer a small signpost to the story – enough to make someone want to open the book and start reading. With the Tom Harper series I’ve chosen a theme of metal/precious metals. While a theme can initially be a good idea, it can also end up a bit limiting - as I’ve discovered. So it’s very much a double-edged sword.

What's in a name?

A name can indicate a great deal. In this book I wrote that working-class families would often choose fanciful names for their daughters because it was as close to frivolous luxury as they’d come in their lives. But my main character, Tom Harper, has a deliberately plain name, something that’s no-nonsense, easy to remember, with a little power to it (in my eyes). His wife’s named Annabelle – one of those fanciful names – yet their daughter is Mary. Ordinary, straightforward. And in all three cases, I feel the names…[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Chris Nickson's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Constant Lovers.

The Page 69 Test: The Constant Lovers.

The Page 69 Test: The Iron Water.

The Page 69 Test: The Hanging Psalm.

Writers Read: Chris Nickson (January 2019).

Q&A with Chris Nickson.

--Marshal Zeringue