Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Q&A with Katie Tallo

From my Q&A with Katie Tallo, author of Dark August: A Novel.

About the book, from the publisher:
At first my novel was called Gracie’s Kiss. The story was based on a screenplay of the same name that I’d written two decades earlier. As the story evolved, the focus shifted away from the character of Gracie and the meaning of that kiss changed. It also became a much darker thriller and so my editor and I agreed that Gracie’s Kiss was no longer a fit. It sounded a bit too romantic. I came up with Dark August and immediately it resonated. The story is set in the summer and many of the flashbacks harken back to a dark time in August when the lead character’s mother is killed. The lead’s name is Augusta which also makes the title a fun nod to her. August just happens to be my favourite month and my birth month. Mostly though, August to me represents the dead of summer when cicadas buzz, heat ripples off pavement, humidity thickens the air, and the setting sun burns the evening sky red — hence...[read on]
Visit Katie Tallo's website.

The Page 69 Test: Dark August.

Q&A with Katie Tallo.

--Marshal Zeringue