Thursday, July 09, 2020

Q&A with Carrie Firestone

From my Q&A with Carrie Firestone, author of Dress Coded:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I have a feeling anyone who has ever been dress coded will see this title and know exactly what Dress Coded is about. Originally, the working title was Shame Garden. I wanted to send a powerful message about the culture of shame and humiliation that has evolved around unfair school dress code policies. When my editor suggested Dress Coded, however, I knew it was the right title for the book. While the story centers around the fallout from an especially egregious dress coding incident, the ultimate message is one of young people finding their voices and fighting for justice. There's no...[read on]
Visit Carrie Firestone's website.

The Page 69 Test: Dress Coded.

Q&A with Carrie Firestone.

--Marshal Zeringue