Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Five top books on revolution

One title on the Barnes & Noble Review's list of books on uprisings in pursuit of freedom around the world:
A Place of Greater Safety
by Hilary Mantel

An ingenious historical novel that imagines the day-to-day lives of Maximilien de Robespierre, Georges Danton, and other key players of the French Revolution, A Place of Greater Safety weaves an intriguing web of paranoia, deceit, and clandestine activity during the blood-soaked Reign of Terror. Mantel portrays both the Girondins and Jacobins with impressive detail, depicting hundreds of revolutionary figures, both prominent and little known, who started one of the most fascinating and mythologized rebellions in history.
Read about another book on the list.

In 2009, when asked what she was most proud of writing, Mantel replied:
A book I wrote in my twenties called A Place of Greater Safety about the French revolution. It wasn’t published as my first book but as my fifth. I wrote it against the odds as nobody except me believed in it.
--Marshal Zeringue