Sunday, July 14, 2013

Siân Phillips's 6 favorite books

The Welsh actor Siân Phillips may be best known for her television role as the mother/empress Livia in the classic BBC series I, Claudius, and as the Reverend Mother in the science fiction epic film Dune.

One of her six favorite books, as told to The Daily Express:
THE WAY WE LIVE NOW by Anthony Trollope

I read The Barchester Chronicles when I was a teenager but I didn't read Trollope's other books until last year. They are all page-turners and kept me busy on tour. This one is a wonderful commentary on 19th-century life and politics. We complain about the same things now.
Read about another book on the list.

The Way We Live Now is on Alan Glynn's list of seven notable robber barons from film & fiction and John Mullan's list of ten of the best scenes on London Underground.

--Marshal Zeringue