Monday, January 17, 2011

What is Daniel H. Wilson reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Daniel H. Wilson, author of A Boy and His Bot.

His entry begins:
I'm reading three books right now. First, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. This is widely regarded as a sci-fi classic, yet it slipped past my radar screen for all these years. Reading it now, I can see why so many people love it. Reading this book is like eating candy, and I've found myself slowing down as I realize that I'm nearing the finish. Next, I'm reading an advanced reading copy of Ready Player One by Ernie Cline. It's a crazy adventure into a future that is obsessed with the pop culture of the 1980s -- and I mean...[read on]
Among the early praise for A Boy and His Bot:
"Wilson brings the expertise of his adult titles How to Survive a Robot Uprising and How to Build a Robot Army (and a Ph.D. in robotics) to his first middle-grade novel, a campy down-the-robot-hole adventure.... With a goofy sense of humor and plenty of action, Wilson presents a coming-of-age journey with shades of Alice in Wonderland and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz."
--Publishers Weekly

"Drawing from his background as a CMU-trained robotics expert, Wilson creates a world every bit as amazing as Harry Potter’s. Actually, even more amazing, as it doesn’t depend on magic; it all could, conceivably, come true, and therein lies the real magic."
--Michael Belfiore
Daniel H. Wilson is an engineer who earned his PhD in robotics at Carnegie Mellon University. His books include Bro-Jitsu, How to Survive a Robot Uprising, Where's My Jetpack? and How to Build a Robot Army.

Visit Daniel Wilson's blog.

My Book, The Movie: A Boy and His Bot.

Writers Read: Daniel H. Wilson.

--Marshal Zeringue