Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Q&A with Edwin Hill

From my Q&A with Edwin Hill, author of Watch Her: A Hester Thursby Mystery #3:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title for my latest novel, Watch Her, came from the text. I noticed the phrase reappearing in the prose, and that it had different meanings depending on where it was being used. The story is about long-held secrets and the power we have over those who trust us. There’s a character who appears to be stalking an ex-girlfriend. There’s another character who’s entrusted with watching over a child in danger. I thought it was evocative of the overall story, too. Thankfully, my editor agreed!

What's in a name?

I name characters very, very quickly, especially when I’m in the early stages of drafting, otherwise I can lose an afternoon on a baby naming web site looking for the perfect name. Some of the names stick, and others get changed as I get to know the characters better.

Hester Thursby is the main character in my series, and she was named...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Edwin Hill’s website.

My Book, The Movie: Little Comfort.

Q&A with Edwin Hill.

--Marshal Zeringue