Thursday, December 10, 2020

Karen Brooks's "The Lady Brewer of London," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Lady Brewer of London: A Novel by Karen Brooks.

The entry begins:
If The Lady Brewer of London was made into a movie, I know exactly who I’d like to play Anneke Sheldrake. When I first started writing, I imagined a young Ann Margaret. She looks so right for the part with her gorgeous red hair, the shape of her eyes and height. Anneke is eighteen when the book opens, and is immediately put in a situation where she has to shoulder incredible responsibilities for someone so young. Basically, make a living in order to support her younger siblings and family servants and not be evicted from their home. Undaunted (except to those who really know her), she makes what some in that time would have considered an indecent proposal to her landlord to help her family not only survive, but thrive. She pays the price for her chutzpah, but at the same time refuses to be beaten. I could see Ann Margaret filling the role beautifully. 

But then I saw...[read on]
Visit Karen Brooks's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Lady Brewer of London.

--Marshal Zeringue