Sunday, January 31, 2016

Jason Gurley's "Eleanor," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Eleanor: A Novel by Jason Gurley.

The entry begins:
If I were in charge of casting a film adaptation of Eleanor, I’d have to take my cues from the nature of the book itself. The novel plays fast and loose with the concept of time, and I’d dive into that wholeheartedly, and select my cast mostly from years gone by—with a twist.

Eleanor, the novel’s protagonist, is seen at several ages, but predominantly as a teenager. She’s quiet, strong-willed, carrying her entire broken family upon her back. For this part, I’d leap back in time to the late 1970s, shortly after Taxi Driver, and cast Jodie Foster in the role.

Eleanor’s mother, Agnes, is a heartbroken, grieving woman who has forsaken her family to indulge her sadness. She’s drunk, angry, embittered; it all stems from the great losses she’s experienced. For this part, I’d rewind time a little less far, and cast...[read on]
Visit Jason Gurley's website.

The Page 69 Test: Eleanor.

My Book, The Movie: Eleanor.

--Marshal Zeringue