Friday, January 01, 2016

Five sci-fi & fantasy books with fabulous first sentences

Erin Bow's latest novel is The Scorpion Rules. At Tor.com she shared five top YA science fiction and fantasy books with fabulous first sentences, including:
Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
Day One: My lady and I are being shut up in a tower for seven years.
I once heard Joseph Boyden say one key to keeping readers is making them a promise on the first page. He spoke of his own book, in which one character has an addiction to morphine, a two-day supply, and a three-day journey home. Three-Day Road, it’s called. I dare you not to read it.

I also dare you not to read Hale’s Book of a Thousand Days, which is a Mongolian-flavored retelling of the fairy tale Maid Maleen: a princess defies her father, who seals into a tower for seven years. One faithful servant refuses to leave her lady’s side. But seven years is a long time, and the food is running low…

Call a book a Book of A Thousand Days, and open day one with the only window being bricked up slowly? Do you promise? Because I’m yours.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue