Friday, October 02, 2009

Drew Barrymore's best books

For The Week magazine, the actor Drew Barrymore named her six best books.

One title on her list:
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway (Scribner, $16).

This is the book that, as a die-hard romantic, I remember making me cry the hardest. I loved falling in love with Hemingway’s novel as its hero falls in love with “Catherine.” I had to finish the book alone in the other room so that I could just let my emotions pour out. I cried so hard, and it is wonderful when someone can evoke that in your heart!
Read about another book on Barrymore's list.

A Farewell to Arms also appears on Jeffrey Hart's list of five books "essential to appreciating American literature of the 1920s" and among Atul Gawande's ten favorite books.

--Marshal Zeringue