Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Top ten antiheroes

Francesca Simon is one of the UK’s best-selling children’s writers. She has published over 50 books, including the immensely popular "Horrid Henry" series, which has now sold over twelve million copies.

For the Guardian, she named a top ten list of fictional antiheroes. One title on her list:
The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

I discovered this book by accident while on holiday in France and staying with friends of my parents. I remember lying out in the Provence sun quite unable to believe what I was reading, as I'd never encountered an amoral psychopath as a novel's "hero". Utterly gripping and creepy, one of the books that you never forget. I also got sun stroke from lying outside reading for too long, but that's another story.
Read about another book on Simon's list.

The Talented Mr Ripley is on Tana French's top 10 maverick mysteries list, the Guardian's list of the 50 best summer reads ever, and the Telegraph's ultimate reading list.

--Marshal Zeringue