Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What is Melody Carlson reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Melody Carlson, author of over ninety books for adults, children, and teens.

Her entry begins:
Right now I'm reading Last Go Round by Ken Kesey. It's not my usual read and I have to admit, it's not even my favorite style of writing. He changes point of view a lot, doesn't write chronologically, and takes a lot of liberty with historical facts. And yet it's an enjoyable book. The reason I picked it up is because I'm working on a book set in Pendleton Oregon, which includes some of the same historical background found in Kesey's book. So I guess you could say I'm researching. Interestingly, Ken Kesey and I are from the same area (near Eugene Oregon) and before...[read on]
Melody Carlson books have sold more than two million copies with many titles appearing on the ECPA Bestsellers List. Several of her books have been finalists for, and winners of, various writing awards, including the Gold Medallion and the RITA Award.

Her recent books include Lost in Las Vegas (Carter House Girls: Book 5), What Matters Most (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Maya, Book 3), and Three Weddings and a Bar Mitzvah (86 Bloomberg Place).

Among the praise for the Diary of a Teenage Girl series:
"Maya is a fun character! It's not even possible to read It's a Green Thing and not relate to her questions, her challenges, and her struggles as a teen and Christian. And I found myself jotting down her awesome eco-friendly tips!"
-- Jenny B. Jones, award-winning author of In Between and the Charmed Life series
Visit Melody Carlson's website and Facebook page.

Writers Read: Melody Carlson.

--Marshal Zeringue