Monday, October 05, 2009

Louise Penny's "The Brutal Telling," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny.

The entry begins:
I love this idea, and have given several answers depending on the book. None of them, truth be told, very serious. Though John Travolta as Ruth still appeals to me. And I think Mo'Nique or Oprah for Myrna would be great fun! But, suddenly, unexpectedly while watching a film I found my Gamache.

I wasn't looking - but there on the screen he was. It was while watching this wonderful, fairly modest British film called Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. It stars Amy Adams and Frances McDormand, as Miss Pettigrew, a middle-aged British nanny in the late 1930's, who finds herself taken on by a giddy American singer. It's hilarious, and wonderful. There's a character named Joe. And I suddenly realized Joe was Gamache, in slightly different circumstances. The same warmth, dignity, humour but with a touch of sadness. A happy man, but one who has seen more than anyone should.

And while the actor, physically, wasn't perfect he was close. The right age, the right height, the right body type.

His name is...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Louise Penny's website and blog.

Coffee with a Canine: Louise Penny & Trudy.

The Page 69 Test: Still Life.

My Book, The Movie: A Fatal Grace.

The Page 99 Test: The Cruelest Month.

The Page 99 Test: A Rule Against Murder.

The Page 69 Test: The Brutal Telling.

My Book, The Movie: The Brutal Telling.

--Marshal Zeringue