Thursday, October 01, 2009

Belinda Acosta's "Damas, Dramas, and Ana Ruiz," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Damas, Dramas, and Ana Ruiz by Belinda Acosta.

The entry begins:
What a fun project, imaging Damas, Dramas, and Ana Ruiz as a movie. I asked some friends for their suggestions and there were a couple of great ones, but in the end, this is my dream list of who would play the major characters in Damas, as a movie.

First, Ana Ruiz: I had a lot of difficulty with this until my good friend Maribel Sosa reminded me of Talisa Soto. “She's got that soft look, she's thin, but curvy, she has those eyes, and even that dark little patch of skin,” Mari e-mailed me. “In most pictures she has straight hair and looking very va-va-va-voom, but sometimes she looks so gentle and fragile but ultimately has that don't f**k with me thing.” I couldn’t agree more. Check her out. I think she would make a perfect Ana.

Casting young people is always difficult for me, and I found this especially true when it came to Carmen, Ana’s difficult teenager, full of spit and vinegar, angry over her parents’ separation. Since...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at the publisher's website and Belinda Acosta's blog.

My Book, The Movie: Damas, Dramas, and Ana Ruiz.

--Marshal Zeringue