Friday, July 01, 2022

Q&A with Anna Hogeland

From my Q&A with Anna Hogeland, author of The Long Answer: A Novel:
photo credit: Shelby Kinney-Lang
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

My hope is that the title invites readers to wonder both, what is the long answer, and what is the question being asked? We rarely feel the space to really tell our stories in their entirety; as a therapist, I have a real honor of getting to hear the long answers, by which I mean the truer, more nuanced answers, to questions as simple as, how are you? When I began trying to conceive a child, I noticed that the stories of how people made families were greatly condensed, and I was desperate to know what those years were really like for people, so I might be better prepared for how they might be for me. This book is in part an attempt to provide those long answers both for myself and for...[read on]
Visit Anna Hogeland's website.

Q&A with Anna Hogeland.

--Marshal Zeringue