Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Seven unconventional women at the center of great novels

Louise Hare is a London-based author. Her debut novel, This Lovely City, was published in the UK to wide acclaim, and was a Between the Covers Book Club Pick on BBC Two. She has an MA in creative writing from the University of London.

Hare's new novel is Miss Aldridge Regrets.

At CrimeReads she tagged seven unconventional women at the heart of great novels, including:
Indemnity Only, by Sara Paretsky

My introduction to the unconventional woman was through Indemnity Only, Sara Paretsky’s first V.I. Warshawski novel. A missing person’s case turns into a murder investigation, but it’s V.I. herself who kept me turning the pages when I first picked this up. The divorced daughter of a Chicago cop and an Italian opera singer, V.I. is so fiercely independent and I’d never come across anyone like her before, either in real life or in fiction.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue