Friday, June 17, 2022

Ten books for "Sex and the City" fans

Jane L. Rosen is an author and screenwriter whose critically acclaimed first novel, Nine Women, One Dress, has been translated into ten languages. Katie Couric called her novel Eliza Starts a Rumor “A smart, engaging treat for Big Little Lies fans. The perfect summer read!” Rosen lives in New York City and on Fire Island with her husband and three daughters.

[The Page 69 Test: Eliza Starts a Rumor; My Book, The Movie: Eliza Starts a Rumor]

Rosen's new novel is A Shoe Story.

At CrimeReads she tagged ten books perfect for fans of Sex and the City, including:
The Colossus of New York by Colson Whitehead

It’s hard to pick just one of Colson Whitehead’s keen observations about New York. He writes about its transformation after a rainstorm and the magical way it has of seemingly speaking to you, but I especially connected with Whitehead’s reflections on the city’s ability to change without warning. It’s a phenomenon I have never quite gotten comfortable with, especially post-Covid, when places I thought of as institutions disappeared overnight. I first chose “Live every minute as if you are late for the last train,” as my favorite line, but realized there was another that really stuck with me long after I finished the book.

Favorite NYC quote: “New York City does not hold our former selves against us. Perhaps we can extend the same courtesy.”
Read about another entry on the list.

The Colossus of New York is among Rob Hart's five great books about New York City.

--Marshal Zeringue