Thursday, June 02, 2022

Q&A with Wendy Church

From my Q&A with Wendy Church, author of Murder on the Spanish Seas:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Originally I really liked Shipfaced for the title, as I thought it conveyed the context (lots of drinking on a ship) and the humor concisely. But cooler heads prevailed, and we took a more direct, Snakes on a Plane marketing approach, eventually settling on Murder on the Spanish Seas, which makes more sense to use for an unknown, debut author. And should the novel be published overseas, it’s likely a more universally digestible title.

What's in a name?

This book is the first in a series of Jesse O’Hara novels, so I had to feel pretty solid about the name of the main protagonist, as she’s going to be around for a while.

I knew I wanted her to be...[read on]
Visit Wendy Church's website.

The Page 69 Test: Murder on the Spanish Seas.

Q&A with Wendy Church.

--Marshal Zeringue