Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Q&A with Kelly Mustian

From my Q&A with Kelly Mustian, author of The Girls in the Stilt House:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Titles almost never come easily to me, but I was in love with my working title for the book that became The Girls in the Stilt House. I wanted a title that was symbolic, meaningful, and intriguing, with a nod to nature. All of that. My publishing team, however, wanted a title that works to draw readers into the story. The Girls in the Stilt House does that. It introduces the young women who are the main characters and speaks to the setting, which is a stilt house hidden away on a swamp. It hints at intrigue. This title has served the novel well. My first love, though? A Jury of Trees.

What's in a name?

I’m a big fan of symbolism and analogy, but not so much with my name choices. I tend to lean toward names that...[read on]
Visit Kelly Mustian's website.

Q&A with Kelly Mustian.

--Marshal Zeringue