Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Anna Katherine's "Salt and Silver," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Salt and Silver by Anna Katherine.

The entry begins:
One of my favorite things to come across while I'm reading is a really fantastic action scene. When the author's somehow managed to tell me where everybody is, what they're doing, how they're feeling, what the action means, and what the consequences are -- that's a real talent, and a gem to come across in print.

While I'm not saying that I'm anywhere near that fabulous when it comes to action scenes, I definitely try to pay attention to what I'm doing. In Salt and Silver, there are two kinds of action scenes: ones involving sex, and ones involving violence. I'm going to stick the violence examples, but honestly, this stuff applies either way.

There are three concerns I have when writing an action scene:

1. As with anything in a story, I've got to get from one end of it to the other -- beginning, rising tension, climax, denouement. Those are the very basic building blocks of creating a scene, a chapter, a book... and if I skip any of them, there's going to be a frustrated reader somewhere.

2. But while I'm doing that, I'm also thinking to myself, "What exactly is the story getting out of this?" If I'm just having an angsty vampire battle to fill time, why should the reader bother reading it? Heck, why should the characters bother going through with it? Even sex scenes fall under this one -- if I'm going to have my characters get it on, then it's got to mean something (emotionally, metaphorically, prophetically...).

3. But most of all...[read on]
Learn more about the book and authors at Anna Katherine's website and blog.

Anna Katherine is the pseudonym for two women who have both worked in the publishing industry for most of their lives.

My Book, The Movie: Salt and Silver.

--Marshal Zeringue