Friday, November 18, 2016

Zana Fraillon's "The Bone Sparrow," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon.

The entry begins:
Ooooh! How exciting. My book as a movie! My only problem tackling this question is of course that having three young(ish) kids, the last movies I saw are probably a few decades old now and I have absolutely no idea of current actors. However! I did recently see a wonderful film directed by Benh Zeitlin called Beasts of the Southern Wild, and it reminded me of The Bone Sparrow. I love the way he used previously undiscovered talent instead of known actors, (similar to the way that Stephen Daldry did with Trash), and Zeitlin’s use of magical realism is superb.

So, if The Bone Sparrow was made into a film, firstly I would like Benh Zeitlin to direct it, and then I would like to follow that and cast non-actors in the roles of Subhi and Jimmie. Subhi, born into an immigration detention centre, is full of a kind of raw innocence that I think a non trained-actor could more convincingly convey. Likewise with Jimmie, a local girl struggling with her own issues and who discovers a way into the centre, I think her character would...[read on]
Follow Zana Fraillon on Twitter.

My Book, The Movie: The Bone Sparrow.

--Marshal Zeringue