Monday, May 02, 2016

Karen Halvorsen Schreck's "Broken Ground," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Broken Ground: A Novel by Karen Halvorsen Schreck.

The entry begins:
I did have specific people in mind as I developed Ruth Warren and Thomas Everly, the main characters of Broken Ground. As never before in my writing, in fact, I turned to particular photographs of these people for inspiration.

Set in the 1930s, Broken Ground is the story of a young oilrig widow who tries to escape her grief and the Texas Dust Bowl by heading west to attend college. There she becomes immersed in the lives of Mexican migrant workers in a camp near Los Angeles, and learns of the long-term repatriation program of that era—the massive, forced deportation without due process of people of Mexican heritage, many of them U.S. citizens. Ultimately, Ruth and her friend, WPA worker Thomas Everly, must decide what stand they will take in the face of this injustice.

My inspiration for Ruth...[read on]
Visit Karen Halvorsen Schreck's website.

My Book, The Movie: Broken Ground.

--Marshal Zeringue