Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Edward Humes, "Over Here"

After noticing this review of Edward Humes' Over Here: How the G.I. Bill Transformed the American Dream, I clicked over to his website and learned a few interesting things about his literary taste and reading habits, including:
Favorite authors: John Steinbeck, Raymond Chandler, Harper Lee, Norman Mailer, Tom Wolfe, John McPhee, Tracy Kidder.

Reads that wowed me (an eclectic selection): Dispatches, by Michael Herr; Salvador, by Joan Didion; Tapping the Source, by Kem Nunn; The Prince of Tides, by Pat Conroy; Watership Down, by Richard Adams, Griffin and Sabine, by Nick Bantock; and “A Boy of Unusual Vision,” by Alice Steinbach (a Pulitzer-Prize-winning story that appeared in the Baltimore Sun in 1984).

Daily Must Reads: New York Times, LA Times, Slate, Salon, Jim Romenesko’s MediaNews, CaliforniaAuthors.com

Recent book I wish I wrote: Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser.

Recent book I wish no one wrote (or read): Slander, by Ann Coulter.
Coming soon to the blog: Ed Humes puts Over Here to the page 69 test.

--Marshal Zeringue