Saturday, September 28, 2024

Q&A with Elom K. Akoto

From my Q&A with Elom K. Akoto, author of Blindspot in America:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The final title of my debut novel, Blindspot in America, was not the original title I gave it. I was unhappy when my publisher decided it was best to find a new title for the book because of how cliché In the Dream of America would appear to potential readers. The publisher then included me in the task of finding a new title. After tossing words around, Blindspot in America seemed to fit the story better, as it depicts how prospective immigrants’ conception of America excludes or instead omits some crucial aspects and realities of their future adopted country. Those aspects and realities constitute the spots they didn’t see in their dream of America.

What's in a name?

I was looking for an uncommon name for the protagonist of my novel, and Kamao came to me quickly. Although it...[read on]
Visit Elom Akoto's website.

My Book, The Movie: Blindspot in America.

Q&A with Elom K. Akoto.

--Marshal Zeringue