Thursday, September 19, 2024

Q&A with Caroline Wolff

From my Q&A with Caroline Wolff, author of The Wayside:
How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your novel?

She wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest. Teenage Caroline was drawn to anything darkly beautiful. (For context, the summer I was 15 I listened to Elliott Smith every night before bed and cried, just to evoke an intense emotional response and so have more fodder to draw from in my writing.) When I was creating the moody atmosphere of The Wayside, I also drew on a few of the books I loved as a teenager, like the campus vibe of The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis and the gothic overtones of Night Film by Marisha Pessl. And she would definitely approve of Jake’s taste in music.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings? Which do you change more?

It’s harder for me to write...[read on]
Visit Caroline Wolff's website.

Q&A with Caroline Wolff.

--Marshal Zeringue