Monday, May 01, 2023

Seven top novels that celebrate pop music

Elvin James Mensah was born and raised in South East London.

He graduated from Bournemouth University, where he began writing his first novel, Small Joys.

At Electric Lit Mensah tagged "seven novels [that] unashamedly celebrate the joys of contemporary pop music. Quite a few of them also inspired me in my own writing, and creating a world scored with music that felt authentically me." One title on the list:
Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Daisy Jones and the Six is a novel charting the stratospheric rise and fall of a 70’s band and their tumultuous relationships with each other. In another life, I was a music-blogger. Things like anticipating the publication of music charts in the UK and US was always a highlight of my week, as well as knowing how much an album had sold in a particular week. So when I read this and saw things like chart positions and albums sales and this band’s drive to be commercially successful truly satisfied the music industry/chart geek in me.
Read about another entry on the list.

Daisy Jones and the Six is among Glenn Dixon's ten best novels about fictional bands and Benjamin Myers's top ten mentors in fiction.

--Marshal Zeringue