Sunday, May 07, 2023

Q&A with Zhang Ling

From my Q&A with Zhang Ling, author of Where Waters Meet:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I did sweat a bit over the title of this book. Despite the myriad of ideas flying around in my mind, the central image of water had been crystal clear even before I started writing the first line. Among the alternatives were Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall, Rain’s Ashes, Where Water Meets Sky, etc. The present title Where Waters Meet didn’t materialize until the editing process started. Both the editorial team and I myself feel this title relates to the story well, because one of the main characters’ name is Rain, and the major events that occur in her and her daughter’s lives are centered around rivers. The present title serves a dual purpose: it’s a road sign pointing, subtly, to the direction of the plot development; and it also creates a symbolic association with the course of life and the process of migration. The image of water, I hope, can lead the readers effectively into the depth of the story.

What's in a name?

“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet”, says Shakespeare, but I beg to differ. The name matters, as it can potentially produce a unique quality that separates a person from the multitude. There are...[read on]
Learn more about Where Waters Meet at the publisher's website.

Q&A with Zhang Ling.

--Marshal Zeringue