Monday, March 20, 2023

Asale Angel-Ajani's "A Country You Can Leave," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: A Country You Can Leave: A Novel by Asale Angel-Ajani.

The entry begins:
A Country You Can Leave tells the story of Lara, a biracial Afro-Cuban-Russian girl, and her Russian mother, Yevgenia. It opens with their arrival at the Oasis Mobil Estates, a somewhat ne’re-do-well community located in the California Desert. As a mother and daughter duo trying to figure out their place in America, the novel is part love story and part a story of coming of age under difficult circumstances. But it’s also a novel of dark humor and outrageous characters that, I hope, stay with you for a long while.

As my novel is set in the desert, I imagine one of those films that have to convey the heat and the stretch of open blue skies in a way that was both artful and realistic. The actresses that I think would be great at playing the central mother and daughter characters would be Charlize Theron, playing the complex and fierce Russian mother, Yevgenia, and the British actress...[read on]
Visit Asale Angel-Ajani's website.

My Book, The Movie: A Country You Can Leave.

--Marshal Zeringue