Sunday, October 02, 2022

Thirteen psychological thrillers with gobsmacking twists

Sarah Bonner lives in Sussex with her husband and very spoiled rescue dog. She’s worked in finance and project management for the last fifteen years, but the pandemic gave her the opportunity to revisit her teenage dream of writing.

Her Perfect Twin is her debut novel and she’s brimming with ideas for more twisty psychological thrillers.

At CrimeReads Bonner tagged thirteen favorite psychological thrillers, including:
My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing

The protagonist and his titular “Lovely Wife,” Millicent, find themselves stuck in a rut after fifteen years of marriage. They choose a rather unconventional method of spicing things up: getting away with murder. But not everything is quite as simple as it seems…

I adored Samantha Downing’s debut novel: it’s dark and wicked and extremely fun! I thought I knew what I was letting myself in for when I first picked this up, but it twisted and turned in ways I never expected. I also credit this novel with proving to me that you can write a story where you root for a murderer, thus giving me the confidence to write Her Perfect Twin!
Read about another entry on the list.

My Lovely Wife is among Kaira Rouda's thirteen books highlighting the wives in domestic suspense, Alice Feeney's eight top novels featuring odd couples & unexpected partnerships, Pip Drysdale's seven top revenge thrillers featuring women who have had enough, Christina McDonald's seven top thrillers with flawed characters, C.J. Tudor's seven crime novels where murder is a group activity, Lisa Levy's top seven psychological thrillers with manipulative male narrators, Kaira Rouda's top seven literary couples whose relationships are deeply disturbing in the most fascinating ways possible, and Margot Hunt's top five villains who have had about enough of domestic life.

The Page 69 Test: My Lovely Wife.

--Marshal Zeringue