Monday, October 03, 2022

Q&A with M. Rickert

From my Q&A with M. Rickert, author of Lucky Girl:

About the book, from the publisher:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I kept going back and forth between the subtitles, A Krampus Story and A Christmas Story. I worried that if I landed on Christmas, readers might expect something along the lines of an inspirational memoir whereas using Krampus in the title immediately clarifies that it is fiction. Some readers are disappointed that the Krampus are not more present than they are. There's a similar issue with my use of the word, "horror" as a descriptor. Some readers expect that word to come with blood, but the kind of horror I write is always more shadows than blood. Still, I can't imagine what else I would have called it.

What's in a name?

The main character, Roanoke, is named after the Virginia settlement that became a sort of historical mystery. This is meant as an indication of...[read on]
Learn more about Lucky Girl.

Q&A with M. Rickert.

--Marshal Zeringue