Thursday, April 07, 2022

What is Beth Morrey reading?

Featured at Writers Read: Beth Morrey, author of Delphine Jones Takes a Chance.

Her entry begins:
One of my New Year’s resolutions was to keep a record of my reading. Too many times, someone has asked me what I’ve read recently and my mind has been a total blank – I can’t think of a single book I’ve read, ever. So I’m writing it down for occasions like this. Referring to my list, I can see I’ve consumed eight books so far this year, and the one I would like to mention is Janice Hallett’s The Appeal. It’s an epistolatory crime novel that tells the story of an amateur dramatics group raising money for a sick child, with a murderer in their midst. It’s told in the form of e-mails, text messages, WhatsApp chats, crime reports, etc, and is completely gripping, highly original and slyly funny.

To prove I have my finger on the literary pulse, one to watch out for later this year is...[read on]
About Delphine Jones Takes a Chance, from the publisher:
Delphine Jones’s world is about to get much bigger...if only she’d let it.

Devoted single mother Delphine Jones is an expert at putting her head down and moving through life one day at a time. Since getting pregnant at sixteen, her circle has only ever included her now eleven-year-old daughter and best friend, Em, and her complicated father whom they live with. But when an opportunity for her to finish school presents itself, Delphine finally does something she hasn’t done in years: she takes a chance on herself. Sometimes all it takes is one chance.

As Delphine rediscovers her passions and her belief in herself, her circle expands to include an Oscar-winning actress turned teacher, an Eritrean couple running a local café-cum-jazz club, an elderly French widow looking to converse, and a handsome musician who awakens something in Delphine that she thought had been long buried. But as Delphine’s eyes and heart start to open, she must also face questions she’s stonewalled for more than a decade, questions about Em’s father. Is she brave enough?
Visit Beth Morrey's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Beth Morrey & Polly.

The Page 69 Test: The Love Story of Missy Carmichael.

My Book, The Movie: The Love Story of Missy Carmichael.

Q&A with Beth Morrey.

The Page 69 Test: Delphine Jones Takes a Chance.

My Book, The Movie: Delphine Jones Takes a Chance.

Writers Read: Beth Morrey.

--Marshal Zeringue