Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Q&A with Andrea Yaryura Clark

From my Q&A with Andrea Yaryura Clark, author of On a Night of a Thousand Stars:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

On a Night of a Thousand Stars was not the original title. In fact, I had two titles before landing on this one. The first title was Southern Cross. It remained the title until one day, an editor friend pointed out that a reader might think the story takes place in the American south, involving the KKK. My next title was The Ambassador’s Daughter. I liked this one, but a few months later, a search online revealed that another author had snapped it up. After some brainstorming with my agent and editor, we came up with the final title, which, in my view, is the best one. The title may be evocative for those familiar with the musical, Evita, but key scenes take place under the big Argentinian skies.

What's in a name?

I knew almost immediately I would name...[read on]
Visit Andrea Yaryura Clark's website.

Q&A with Andrea Yaryura Clark.

--Marshal Zeringue