Monday, September 02, 2013

Top 10 vicious literary hatchet jobs

In February 2013 Rupert Hawksley tagged his top ten vicious literary hatchet jobs for the Telegraph. One entry on the list:
George Bernard Shaw on William Shakespeare (1906)

It takes a brave writer to swim against the tide of critical consensus. None braver than George Bernard Shaw who decided that the Bard himself was a fitting target.

"I have striven hard to open English eyes to the emptiness of Shakespeare's philosophy, to the superficiality and second-handedness of his morality, to his weakness and incoherence as a thinker, to his snobbery, his vulgar prejudices, his ignorance, his disqualifications of all sorts for the philosophic eminence claimed for him..."

Shaw went on:

"With the single exception of Homer, there is no eminent writer, not even Sir Walter Scott, whom I can despise so entirely as I despise Shakespeare when I measure my mind against his."
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue