Monday, September 23, 2013

Mary-Rose MacColl's "In Falling Snow," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: In Falling Snow by Mary-Rose MacColl.

The entry begins:
Oh, what a lovely thing to while away some time on!

With the main story set during World War I, In Falling Snow would make a great film, not least because this was such an iconic time in our history and because it has such great roles for women.

There’s Iris and Violet of course, 21 and 25, respectively, during World War I and full of such wonderful idealism, both still so spirited by the late 1970s when they are in their eighties. There’s surgeon and chief Miss Frances Ivens and the other doctors at Royaumont Hospital, and then in the 70s, there’s Grace, a 39-year-old obstetrician with three children. I didn’t have a film in mind while I wrote the novel but I can see the film so clearly, down to the dust motes in a ray of light at the start of the Royaumont scenes, and the snow when Iris arrives at the old abbey. And the scenes at Royaumont as a hospital, oh, they’d be marvellous.

In the present story set in the 1970s, old Iris would have to be played by Meryl Streep, I think, or Dame Judi Dench, to have the presence for the role. For young Iris in World War I, I’d probably have trouble selecting between Abbie Cornish and...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Mary-Rose MacColl's website, and follow MacColl on Facebook and Twitter.

My Book, The Movie: In Falling Snow.

--Marshal Zeringue