Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What is Valerie Miner reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Valerie Miner, author of Traveling with Spirits.

Her entry begins:
I’m always reading at least one book. When I don’t have a good book, I feel oddly lonely—although I have a wonderful partner and lots of great friends. I need the literary companionship. Right now, I’m raving about Trans-Atlantic, by Colum McCann. I also liked Let the Great World Spin. We share an interest in writing literary fiction with a strong sense of geographical place and historical moment. I love his use of language.

I do a lot of reviewing and am enjoying the two books I’m currently reviewing, but...[read on]
About Traveling with Spirits, from the publisher:
Doctor Monica Murphy quits her Minneapolis medical practice to work at Catholic medical mission in a decaying hill station in northern India. There, she confronts questions about the nature of faith, religious imperialism, the troubled position of Westerners in developing countries, and the growth of individual consciousness. You will find Traveling With Spirits to be an exciting, nuanced novel about trespassing, welcoming, and the ever-precarious luck of the innocent.
Learn more about the book and author at Valerie Miner's website and Facebook page.

Writers Read: Valerie Miner.

--Marshal Zeringue